The latest Interphone findings pointing to a link between brain tumors and long-term use of a mobile phone should not be dismissed
January 26... The latest Interphone findings pointing to a link between brain
tumors and long-term use of a mobile phone (see January 22
below) should not be dismissed, according to members of the European research
team that published the new results. "This is something you have to take
seriously," Maria Feychting of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm told
the , a Swedish national tabloid. Feychting advises
those who are concerned to use a hands-free set to reduce radiation exposures.
Anssi Auvinen of STUK, the Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority in Helsinki, another coauthor of the new study, told the U.K. that the location and timing of the tumors makes the finding plausible. "It seems credible as it was after long-term exposure —which makes sense in terms of the length of time it takes for tumors to develop— and it is localized to the side of the head where the handset is held," he said.
Meanwhile, on this side of the Atlantic, the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health () is taking a wait-and-see approach. Howard Cyr, CDRH's point man on cell phones and health, told that he wants to see the final Interphone results before drawing any conclusions. It's not clear when the full 13-country results will be published, but it will probably not be for some time.
The mobile phone industry has yet to offer any official comment. , the wireless association in Washington, did not include any mention of the new study in its daily news roundup distributed by e-mail.
The Florida is so far the only U.S. newspaper to cover the new brain tumor study.
The Awful "Truth": The FDA had no time to read the new study
“Our staff epidemiologists and statisticians have
not had sufficient time to read and analyze this paper as of now"
The link is from the latest story in www.Microwavenews.com